Monday, August 15, 2005

Day Nine: Crushed By The City

The city beat me yesterday. It's been a while since that happened. I attempted to do a simple thing: go from my parents' place to my place to drop off some stuff before heading out to meet some friends for booze and karaoke. This is normally easy, a twenty-five minute trip. It took an hour and a half. An hour and a half, mostly made up of waiting. By the time I got home, I was beaten. And then it started pouring and the lightining was coming down right outside my window and I thought, Karaoke just ain't worth it. So I stayed in. Like a good, little deadbeat.

Actually yesterday was a day of deadbeating and not. I had dinner with my mom, my brother and sister. That was actually kind of fun. I hadn't seen any of them in a while and it was nice.

But then I tried to move around the city and it conspired against me.

One interesting thing: as I waited for one of the many forms of transportation I attempted to take, an argument broke out behind me. Not one of those big, violent things, but a real argument between lovers. It started off with her bitching about how late she was going to get home because of the train weirdness and how they should have never gone to Connecticut. That set him off. Apparently her disdain for his friends was finally too much. They were off to the races, deconstructing their whole relationship and where they were with each other. She tried to say it was just a rough patch, but he wasn't really buying it.

I had that thing, that I think most everyone gets: I wanted to watch. I stood with my back to them, but wanted to just plop down and watch it unfold. And try to figure out the innards of it. It was an interracial couple, and I wondered how much that had to do with it. I wanted to see how it all turned out. But that's a great way to get popped in the face, you know. Strangers in the middle of possibly breaking up really don't want an audience. So when our bus (finally!!) came, I moved away. But I still want to know how it turned out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home