Saturday, August 13, 2005

Day Seven: A Deadbeat Crossroads?

I think I am coming to a bit of a crossroads, and none too soon. I've been lazing and lounging and eating poorly and drinking too damn much and, frankly, not being very mature or consistent or any of those things. I've been just too much of a deadbeat, I think. Is there a limit? Is there a ceiling on the amount of fecklessness one man can stand? Maybe there is. Which is surprising...sort of.

Now, I know I'm a deadbeat, but I attempt to at least maintain some semblance of healthy-ness. I do crunches in the morning. 450 of 'em. Not superhuman, but not too shabby, I don't think. But this morning...I just gave up. I've been eating so much crap, and drinking a lot of beer, and my body just said, "Uh...nah. Not today." This is not good. This is, I guess, a bit of a wake-up call. This has been vacation, really. Next week, I buckle down...a little bit.

I start moving out of my place next week and that's going to be a bit of Herculean task. Seriously. The cleaning of the Augean Stables, it may not be, but it's close. Eight years of crap, and my apartment is big. Very, very big. So I've expanded to fill the space. It's a scary sight.

Yesterday, I met my future ex-downstairs neighbor for a farewell beer in the nabe. She's moving out as we speak. We both moved into the building in Sept. 1997. It was good to hang out with her, but also sad and strange. Eight years is a very, very long time. So many things have changed, in the world, in ourselves, in that time. It's odd that it's all coming to an end.

Expect more of these kinds of posts, as I start sorting through the detritus, flotsam and jetsam of nearly a decade in one place. It's going to be fun ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home