Friday, August 12, 2005

Day Six: Lunchtime Blogging

I'm in the kitchen, making a couple of hot dogs for lunch. Very exciting stuff. This part really does bring me back to being a kid, making hot dogs for lunch. Only kids make hot dogs for lunch, or get hot dogs made for them. Sure, I've wolfed down my fair share (more than my fair share) of street dogs, rushing from one place to another, but I honestly can't remember the last time I sat down and cooked up a couple of hot dogs. They may not be Papaya Dogs but they'll do.

Didn't blog yesterday, because I was, uh, out actually doing stuff. And by "stuff" I mean, spending money I don't have, drinking beers I didn't need to drink and generally wandering around midtown. Oh, and ogling women. Yes, I'm an elightened, post-twentieth century, '90s-sensitive-ponytail (sans the ponytail) feminist guy and I do indeed ogle women on the street. I make all attempts to be polite and discreet when I do, though.

Last night, I made my journey to my first Drinking Liberally. It was...fun, but not exactly what I expected and yet, kind of what I expected. I think, really, in New York City, at least, it's kind of a moot point, you know. Maybe on the Upper East Side or down in the Battery, it might be a necessary thing, but in Hell's Kitchen, the bluest of the blue, well, it's kind of like any night out, you know. Maybe there were intense political discussion going on around me, but I was pretty much caught in general "and what do you do" conversations. Honestly, I'd be more surprised to run into a conservative out in a bar in New York than a liberal/Democrat, you know. I guess I was expecting a very cutting edge, totally political scene, but it was more casual and certainly more "cruise"-y than I expected. I tried out the same joke (I should have worn my Paul Hackett button) and got blank stares all around. Okay, it's not the best joke in the world, but come on. If you're going to something called Drinking Liberally, you should be up on these sort of things. Or maybe not. I think I live in a different world than most. Liberal dogma is pretty much the air I breathe. I guess for people in other industries and such (one woman I met was a financial analyst) you don't get to be around too many like-minded folks. I should probably just go easy on them, huh?

Nah. Wankers.

Kidding. I'm kidding.

Sort of.

Anyhoo...my very summer-y, very kid-like lunch (two hot dogs with mustard, ketchup and relish and Lemonade) is done. I guess I should be semi-productive. Or just retreat to my room to watch The Life Aquatic or The Office. Either way...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home