Tuesday, November 29, 2005

How I Write

Like Hemingway on going broke: slowly, then suddenly. Usually when I have a deadline.

I'm trying to break out of that habit, though. Trying to be more disciplined, more organized. I'm trying to write more, in general, and in specific. I feel like I should be writing all the time, staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning, hunched over my computer, drinking Jolt and smoking cigarettes (Disclaimer: I've never had a sip of Jolt or smoked a cigarette in my life). But I don't seem to work that way.

Yesterday, I tried to turn myself into a night writer, but middling success at best. I really prefer to write in the morning, first thing. It's when my head is clear enough, open enough to really work. I can do some rewriting later in the day, but nothing new or in depth really. Unless there's a gun to my head.

The only problem is that I can only write for about an hour before my brain turns to tapioca in the morning. So once I do that, what the hell do I do with the rest of my day? Watch my stories (West Wing re-runs on Bravo). Go for long walks. The occasional lunch. That sort of thing. But all the while, I'm thinking: I should be writing. I should be writing. I should be writing.

Like now. I should be writing. But I'm doing this. Partly because I have two early(ish) appointments, so I'm getting this in, in the hopes that I'll have time later to do other stuff. To do some real work.

Oh, I have a show coming up. Check it out here and here. Come see it if you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home